Wednesday 20 April 2016

Running Belts

Lucky me! I get to mark two projects off my to do list. I made two running belts; one for "Thing 1", who actually runs, and one for me, who just doesn't want to have her hands full while walking the dog.

I followed this tutorial at sewbon.com. It is well written and has lots of pictures to explain the steps. Both belts were made from a black, high performance fabric and edged with 1/2" fold over elastic.  In fact, they're identical, other than the size difference. I'm not thrilled with the way the zippers turned out. I think it's because I used chunky sports zippers. Had the zippers been finer, the fabric wouldn't have to pull as much at the zipper ends where it transitions to the seam in the fabric.  I tried to get a picture to show you, but it's all black on black so it doesn't show up. Sorry.

When I installed the fold over elastic, I sewed it all in one step. I've seen many places where people sew it on the back first, then fold it over and sew it on the front. I didn't find the extra step was necessary, however that could be because my sewing machine can crawl along at a slow pace. I't never occurred to me to try using my bias binder foot, though. Darn. Maybe next time.


diy running belt
Running Belt

Oh well! Even if it's not perfect, it'll hold my phone, tissues, id and maybe even my keys. I think I'll try mine out at the park tomorrow.


diy running belt
Running Belt

Completed projects: 15
Remaining projects: 37

No comments:

Post a Comment