Wednesday 27 April 2016

Pink Sparkly Leotard

How cute is this?! "Thing 3" wanted a leotard to wear to gymnastics. Have you seen the prices of children's leotards? They are expensive, so I decided to try making one instead. It turned out pretty cute, and it came in at a much lower price than the store-bought ones. I think that's a win. 


This was a fun project. "Thing 3" came with me to the fabric store and picked out fabric for two leotards. She chose two very sparkly fabrics (you'll see the other fabric soon) and asked me to make View A of Jalie 2792.

I took chest, waist, hips and girth measurements as per the pattern instructions. The measurements were exactly that of size G, but there was a note that said size G would fit the average three year old. "Thing 3" is very slender, but she's tall, and she's almost six years old. I don't think she looks like an average three year old at all. I decided to trust the measurements, though, and make size G. Sadly, the leotard is too small. She did wear it to gymnastics today, but when we got home I realized that she had some pretty nasty red marks on her shoulders. We've already found a new home for this leotard, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of time. Plus now I am confident that I can make another. 

Jalie 2792, View A
I think there may even be enough of this fabric left to make another one in a larger size. If not, there's still the other fabric that she chose.  Stay tuned, there will be another gymnastics leotard popping up soon.

Jalie 2792, View A

Also, this leotard isn't see-through. The fabric has little metallic dots all over it that reflect light. I think it's the way the light is reflecting off the dots that make it appear sheer in the pictures. But it isn't. I swear.

Completed projects: 16
Remaining projects: 36

1 comment: