Monday 18 April 2016

Green Nightshirt

I wasn't sure if this would count as a sewing project or not, so I went back to my original post and re-read the rules. I didn't say anything about refashioning existing articles of clothing. So, I'm making a call. Refashions count as a project. Repairs and fitting alterations don't.

This is one of my favourite refashions. It's not the first time I've done it. It's so quick and easy and SO CUTE! Every once in a while we get a cute tee (from a friend or cereal box or wherever) that nobody wants. I turn them into nightshirts for "Thing 3". 


Most of these refashions involve taking inches out of the arm and side seams, and usually shrinking the neckline. This time the neckline was fine, so I only had to do the arms and side seams. I like to make an a-line shape because I think it makes the nightshirt cuter, but you could just as easily make them straight if that's what you prefer. 

Original t-shirt with marked sewing lines

To shrink the neckline, all you do is cut two tiny holes in the inside of the neckband. Do not cut through to the outside of the neckband. Then you thread an elastic through the holes and sew it in place. You can adjust how much gathering happens in your garment by lengthening or shortening the elastic, and/or by lengthening or shortening the distance between the holes.

Side and arm seams have been resewn and excess fabric cut away


The beauty of this refashion, besides the resulting nightshirt, is that you don't have to worry about the holes you put in the neck band or the unfinished seams fraying because they're made of jersey. Personally, I can't leave a seam unfinished, but Nina (my machine) has a number of overlock stitches, so it's an easy fix.

"Thing 3" in her new nightshirt

Quick. Easy. Oh, so cute.

Completed projects: 13
Remaining projects: 39

3 comments:

  1. Love it looks really good on you little one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it looks really good on you little one!!

    ReplyDelete