Thursday 7 April 2016

Gingham Skirt

Have you ever had a project that seemed to take forever? I've probably got you beat! Meet my version of McCall's 4783, view C. It was May, 2009, when I started this skirt. I bought the pattern, which I loved, with the intention of making two summer skirts from it. I also bought two fabrics and coordinating ribbons to complete the skirts. I cut this fabric, looked at the instructions and froze. The zipper instructions were not clear to me. I put the skirt aside... for seven years! Hmm, I became pregnant that summer, so that should buy back nine months. And it probably took me another nine months to lose all the baby weight, so I should get a free pass for 18 months, right? That means it only took five and a half years to make my skirt. (Cue embarrassed laughter.)


McCall's 4783
McCall's 4783, view C

The fabric is actually a navy gingham with white and cornflower blue flowers, but I can't photograph the colours accurately. Originally, I bought this blue gros grain ribbon to go with the skirt, but over the last seven years or so my tastes have changed and I now prefer the white ribbon (which I reused from a skirt that I no longer own). 

Back of McCall's 4783 shown with the blue ribbon I originally purchased

Apparently the idea of pattern matching hadn't occurred to me in 2009, so we'll just ignore that. I made no alterations, just cut and assembled the the skirt following the pattern instructions. It went together quickly and easily, (if you don't count the seven years that it sat in a ziplock bag) except for the hand stitching. The yoke facing was hand stitched to the yoke and zipper. And the hem was hand stitched as well. Please, if there is an easy way to machine sew a curved hem, somebody please share it with me...

McCall's 4783
McCall's 4783, View C

Completed projects: 10
Remaining projects: 42

3 comments:

  1. Holy you may have put it aside for 7 years but that went together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy you may have put it aside for 7 years but that went together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete