Sunday 10 April 2016

Baby Alive Diapers

Do you know about Baby Alive? It's a brand of dolls that are more life-like than regular dolls. Some Baby-Alives talk, some eat, drink and soil their diapers, some get a "fever" and their mommies nurse them back to health... You can also buy accessories for them, like food, diapers and clothing. 

"Thing 3" loves her Baby Alives. She plays with them every day. She has received three of the dolls over the past three Christmases. Two of them soil their diapers. In the past, she has had to buy new diapers for them, but those diapers cost more than a dollar a piece! This time when she asked to go buy new diapers, I suggested we make some instead. So this is what I did...


I used a paper towel and traced around Baby Alive's bottom to make a pattern, then cut it out and tried it on to make sure it fit. Once I was reasonably happy with the fit, I made a prototype (shown in the pictures) to make sure it would fit before spending my time making more. I happened to have some diaper making supplies in my fabric stash. So our diapers are made from PUL, zorb, scraps of leftover flannelette, and Babyville snaps.

I started by sewing a strip of zorb, about one inch wide and slightly shorter than the pattern, down the centre of the flannelette piece. This will be what absorbs most of the moisture. In the photo below, you can see the stitching line.

baby alive all-in-one
The absorbent side of a Baby Alive diaper

Then I sewed the PUL to the flannelette, right sides together. I left the wide end open so that I could turn the diaper right side out (which was the hardest part of this project). Then I turned the edges in and topstitched around the whole diaper. I added snaps for easy fastening...

Baby Alive all-in-one
The PUL side of a Baby Alive diaper

But I forgot to pay attention to which direction the snaps were going, so our prototype diaper does up backwards.  I made sure to pay attention when I was making the other diapers!

baby alive all-in-one
Baby Alive in her all-in-one diaper

After writing this, "Thing 3" played with her babies and the diaper leaks at the legs! I should have thought about that. Hmm... back to the drawing board. 

Completed projects: 11
Remaining projects: 41



No comments:

Post a Comment