Tuesday 26 January 2016

Reindeer Robe

Simplicity 3696. I have to say, I didn't have much hope for this robe when I decided to make it. Historically, I don't have much luck with robes. I'm a curvy woman and it seems to me that robes are built for men. They're boxy and cut very much like a series of rectangles. I was also afraid that I wouldn't like the horizontal pattern in my fabric. You know how they say we should never wear horizontal stripes...


Anyway, I decided to make an effort so I customized the pattern a bit. I cut size medium for the sleeves and shoulder area blended it into size large at the underarms and then blended it into size extra large at the hips. That's how I'm built. I'm a triangle. I was hoping that would solve the problem with the way robes don't fit me very well and it did. Next time, I'll just blend into size large, though. Extra large is much larger than I need. I should have known that; last summer I made the pyjama shorts from this envelope and they're way too big as well.

The fabric is a flannelette from my stash. I had just enough to make the robe, which is why I didn't even make an attempt at pattern matching. I think the fabric is so busy that it probably doesn't really matter. And I know my husband and kids aren't going to notice whether the pattern matches. But it doesn't. See? This is the shoulder/outer arm seam.

Outer Arm Seam

Speaking of that seam, the pattern envelope gave me no indication that it was a two piece sleeve. It was when I realized that it was a two piece sleeve that I began to get hopeful about this project. You see, the envelope artwork led me to believe that it was a raglan sleeve. Raglan sleeves are not very flattering on tiny shouldered, big boobed people, like me.

Topstitching to bring emphasis to seams
It turns out that the pattern, although basic, has more style than the envelope let on. So I decided to bring attention to it by using a second line of stitching everywhere although it is hard to see on the patterned fabric. Then I added one more customization, a snap. There will be no neckline gape happening here, folks!


Here it is, my reindeer robe. I love it! I wish I had made this when I first bought the pattern. I can foresee a satin version for warmer weather.  In fact, I like it so much that I've decided to donate the two unflattering robes that are currently in my closet and wear this instead. My issue with robes, now, will be that I'll never want to get dressed!

Simplicity 3696

Completed projects: 3
Remaining projects: 49

No comments:

Post a Comment