Friday 15 January 2016

Curtains

I've finally finished the first project of my 52 sewing projects challenge! I was so gung-ho to get started that it was hard to hold myself back at the end of 2015. And, still, it took me two weeks to complete my first project - Unlined, rod-pocket curtains for my daughter's bedroom window...A beginner's project, really.


2016 has not been kind to us. Early on New Year's Day, my daughter suffered a head trauma that left her with a concussion. And then less than a week later, our home was burglarized while we slept. Sewing was put on hold. But, now that life is starting to feel a little more normal, I'm hoping to get back on track with this challenge.

Remember my last post, where I said I bought curtain lining? That was to be the lining for these curtains. On January 5th, I cut my lining fabric and my curtain fabric... This fabric (from my stash)
On January 6th, before I could sew them into curtains, our house was broken into. 

You'd be surprised at the fear that overtakes you when your private space is invaded like that. And you'd also be surprised by how much there is to do when your home is invaded. There were three different teams of policemen that were here at different times, an insurance adjuster, a home security alarm installer, and so many telephone calls from people offering help that I couldn't find the time to sew. Making my girls feel safe in their home was my number one priority, so I went out and bought a roller blind to put in the window until I could get back to sewing the curtains. Anyway, when things calmed down again and I found time to sew, there was no longer a need to line the curtains.

Here is a very poorly lit picture of the curtains.


And another


From these pictures, you'd never believe that the walls in her room are the lightest shade of grey and the window trim is bright white. But it is.

Completed projects: 1
Remaining projects: 51

2 comments: